Research & Development Corporation of Newfoundland and Labrador (RDC)
RDC, a Crown corporation of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, works with business, academic and government partners to improve Newfoundland and Labrador’s research and development (R&D) performance. This is achieved by providing leadership, strategic focus and investments for R&D.
There is a need for increased R&D activities, as they will play a major role in driving innovation, creating wealth and increasing economic growth in Newfoundland and Labrador for future generations.
Further information about the need for increased R&D activity is available online.
Over the next 10 years, RDC will focus on the following activities:
- Increasing overall R&D investment in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Pursuing R&D opportunities that are relevant to the local economy
- Targeting sectors that are of strategic importance to Newfoundland and Labrador’s economy
- Understanding current and future markets and research needs
- Responding quickly and flexibly to opportunities
- Encouraging key stakeholders to collaborate and cooperate in the R&D process
RDC investment decisions are guided by the need to:
- Increase business investment in R&D
- Target industries with identified technical needs, market opportunities or resource development potential
- Invest in the development of highly-qualified researchers, innovative research equipment, and world-class research facilities
- Emphasize quality, industry relevance and economic impact when considering institutional investments in R&D
- Employ a global lens in evaluating opportunities to ensure investment decisions are strategic and aligned with Newfoundland and Labrador’s competitive advantages
- Facilitate local, national and international collaboration among R&D stakeholders – business, academia and others